Sunday, January 1, 2012

In an Open Relationship...with NYC

Yes folks, NYC and I have been in a relationship for quite sometime now. For the majority of our courtship, he has been pretty good to me- makes me laugh, smile, and is always surprising me with new and exciting adventures and restaurants. But I will admit that recently, we have been going through a rough patch (haha). Seriously though, being in NYC, as many of you know even just from visiting, is an intense experience- and sometimes the excessive horn honking and other various street noises can get to you. In a sub-conscious search to rekindle the flame in my relationship with the big city this week, I went on a few adventures in the big apple. It all began when I made a pit stop in Harlem earlier in the week. Though it was mid-day, I was still apprehensive walking the streets because being a tall blonde, I clearly stick out like a sore thumb. But I noticed something as I quickly trekked to my destination- everyone there seems to know each other. The encounters between passerbys went past simple niceties- people were referring to each other by name, inquiring about personal matters with engaging questions that went past the typical "how are you?" It got me thinking- in a place that sometimes gets a bad rap, is the heart of the community made strong by the relationships amongst its residence? Maybe we can learn a thing or 2 from this tough neighborhood. In a completely different section of the city and days later, I helped a friend move from 1 apartment to another on the Lower East Side of town. Maybe it was the beautiful sunny day we got, or the fact that the movers literally did everything and my job was to "watch the van" but I fell in love all over again with the city. Being in a hood that I am not accustom to yet again, my eyes were opened to 1 of my favorite things about NYC. The comfort of being able to literally be whom ever you wish to be while no one around you gives a damn what you do. As I stood perched at my post outside the van, my friend and I essentially had a make-shift dance party in the streets. Instead of weird looks, we got people rooting for us (depending upon which dance move we selected ;)) and I know that old dude that walked by with a table was dying to join in. And finally last night, my relationship with the city got right back to where it always was with 1 final great 2011 moment. Getting turned away at our venue for NYE celebrations due to our early arrival (yes, we were overtly punctual- so odd) we made our way to a small dive bar. Sitting at the bar for only about 30 minutes, we met the owner and learned the story of the bartender and his bar. Built in 1886 (yes folks, I think this joint is pre-war) this bar used to frequent the likes of the blue collar men- hard laborers, and there usually couldn't be a woman found in the whole place. The bartender himself comes straight from Dublin but hasn't been back in 12 years. He is finally making the trip to his homeland on Jan 6th. By the end of our conversation, he was on our side of the bar showing us photos of his friends, family, and adorable dog. At the culmination of my week- I learned that re-exploring a place or a thing that you thought you knew so well or maybe even began to take for granted, can be one of the best things for the soul. During my 'staycation' in the city, I not only learned about new places and cultures, but about myself. So today if you are scrounging around for #5 on your list of New Years resolutions, I vote for adding "Take an Adventure" and maybe get to know someone or something better than you think you already do- you may fall in love all over again :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment