Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mexican Food...for the Soul

The original title of this post was supposed to be HOLY GUACAMOLE but then due to a change of events, I was forced to alter its tone. The initial reason I felt the need to include such a title was due to my utter shock and awe at how well the Xmas eve celebrations went with the fam! I can genuinely say we all had a great time- there was lots of laughter, smiles, and delicious red wine accompanied with the typical Italian feast. I was relived going to bed happy and full. Come Xmas morning, things changed when we found out a relative had become ill over night. Rushing out to their house to ensure all parties involved were AOK, we certainly experienced a Christmas day we had not expected to. After a long trivial day...my grandmother and I (I am staring to feel like we are Quail man and Quail Dog from Nickeloden's 'Doug') raced to the nearest open Mexican restaurant for a Pina Colada and some Tamales- la comida Mexicana does the soul some good. This 48 hour mixed bag of emotions got me to thinking- why is it that such a great day can become so tarnish by a bad one? I know I have addressed focusing on the negative vs. the positive in a previous post- but I am going somewhere else with this one. In times of family struggle, it seems as though my family has somehow always been brought together at the moment of an unfortunate situation. Although we all had a great time on the 24th, the real emotions, the 'fight or flight' inside of our crew was ignited once again. I am talking about my immediate family here- and I sometimes consider us the crisis crew that flies in to try and remedy most family debacles regarding health. The point here is that although by the end of the 25th I was exhausted, tired (yes I meant to use both of those words here), and confused- sitting here today on the 27th I realize that for the moment, going through trials and tribulations as a family may have actually brought us together. My hope is that as long as we are able to get other family members through a hard time, that it will teach us as an immediate family to be able to get through our own trials together. In the end, I know everything happens for a reason- and now back in my city with a big smile on my face and those damn city lights/noises igniting my soul again...I am grateful for my whole holiday experience :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment