Thursday, December 22, 2011

It's All a Matter of Perspective

As we begin to creep into the holiday weekend some of you may be scared of the idea of another full day (wait, like more than an hour?!) spent with family. I am sure many of you don't have this feeling and kudos to you. In an effort to not repeat my Thanksgiving posts- I've decided to get a little perspective here. Many times in life we exert zero if not negative expectations on a situation. In fact it is sometimes the situations that we put the highest expectations on that can let us down. Instead of having any sort of preconceived notions about this Christmas (try as I might) I am taking a step back. My grandmother- bless her heart- has again made me realize something...Christmas is not about the gifts. I already agree with her there, so much so that I didn't ask for anything this year. But what about the shopping and spending and long drawn out dinners? Nope not that either- it's about the birth of Jesus. And even if your not religious, realize that the spirit of this holiday lies in the essence of giving- Jesus was born, died, and GAVE up his life for our sins. In modern day, I don't mean giving as in expensive extravagant gifts, I mean in giving yourself to others. Whether that means giving a smile to a struggling stranger, or giving a listening ear to a family member that just wants to chat- giving of yourself is one of life's most sometimes challenging, but rewarding experiences. In a matter of perspective- so many of us are grateful to be alive let alone are lucky enough to be happy, healthy, and employed this year. But having family, friends, and loved ones in your life is something extra special. Giving just a little bit of yourself to those who are not as fortunate (and many times it is those who seem like they need it least but are actually crying out for it most) a little love and kindness. Tomorrow, I plan to sit back in front of the ole' Yuletide gas burning fire and GIVE myself in to some simple laughter and smiles :)
- xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment