Tuesday, January 10, 2012

"Friends, CLIENTS, or...nothing?"- John Mayer

This Sunday I was lucky enough to take some clients to the Giants vs. Falcons playoff game. Please keep in mind my use of the word 'clients.' The morning started off quite well, picked up the rental car, food, beer, and 1 of the bravest travelers along our journey. Heading into NJ, tunes blasting and our perfect Dunkin Donouts orders in hand (after some serious struggling for non-fat, decaf, non-dairy NYC orders that are not too highly accepted over the border) and ready for the day. Making it to the the stadium early, we figured, what the heck- we definitely have enough time to grab some vodka for the early morning Bloody Mary's. 2 HOURS LATER AND SANS THE VODKA...we were lost in Harrison, NJ. Beautiful area, but not where the GMEN were- oh and also, not sure if you are aware but you cannot purchase hard alcohol before 12:00 PM on a Sunday in NY or NJ...wish I would have known that earlier. Thank goodness my fearless passenger found all of this to be comical, or at least she made it seem as such. FINALLY making it to the game (not before 1st of course figuring out how to pay for cash only parking with only a credit card- and 2 miles away from the stadium) we met up with the other gals and headed straight to the bar. There, after a celebratory shot for actually making it into the game- the 4 of us girls got to chatting. After almost an hour and a full quarter, I realized that these girls were not my clients, but in the short amount of time we had spent together, started to become my friends. As we talked about careers and the media world, we discussed the difficulties of sales and how it is truly a job like no other. In a failed effort to not complain, I realized something. My experience in sales continues to teach me something about myself and the world around me everyday. And though it can be a biotch (for lack of a better term) at times, without it- I would have never gotten the opportunity to go to the Giants playoff game AND meet a small group of girls who I no longer want to call my clients, but hopefully my friends. Long story short, the game was great, we won (obviously) though I doubt the GMEN will have that sort for luck when the face the Packers in the coming days. But at the end of the day, 2 hour detour and all, I was grateful for where I was at that exact moment. It is the little things a mist all the chaos sometimes that help you realize how good you got it :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment