Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Forgive, Forget, or just Forgo

I have been curious about this topic for quite sometime so here goes nothin! Keep in mind that this post is not about 1 person or situation in particular, but rather me just trying to figure out another aspect of this great thing we call life. How do you forgive, forget, or do both? I realized that me asking this question in a blog post is clearly rhetorical in nature but think about it. When someone does you wrong, throws ya under the bus, or just acts like a stinky person in general- what is the right thing to do? As a Christian (and always general believer in Jesus) I have continually been taught to forgive and pray for those that have done me wrong.  But when it comes down to it, the reality of the situation, I find it hard to believe that all of us are little saints running around forgiving each other every time a situation goes sour. And to that point, what happens if the situation isn't a 1 time deal. I'm talking about someone you've continually butt heads with and can't seem to meet somewhere in the middle. If someone has truly done you wrong, how do you know they won't do it again...and if you have forgiven them before, and they've done it again, then where do you go from there? In my opinion, if you are simply friends with someone (i.e. no real emotional attachment) and they do you wrong, then you can simply deduce that they are just not the greatest person and that you should probably not have them on you 'emergency contact list' let alone in your life. But what if it is someone you love? We all know the saying "you can pick your nose but you can't pick your family" (keep in mind my use of the word family umbrellas friends that I consider family) so does that mean we are stuck with the way these people treat us? I think after hashing this out in the most literal way I have come to a conclusion. If you love someone, and they've done you wrong- you need take a step back and deep look at the situation. If you are the antagonist, then you've got some things to work on. But if the other person seems to be the continual antagonist, then there is a pretty good chance they are going through something (just like you might have been if you were the antagonist) and could quite possibly be taking it out on you. Again...if you love them, I think you need to let them be. I am sure that once they come around (no matter how long it takes) if your love for them is eternal, you will be able to forgive. So to answer my own question- I think we need to forgive, never forget (otherwise we are allowing ourselves to ignore bad behavior) and maybe forgo just for a while...just until that person is ready for you to love them up again :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment