Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Subway car half full or half empty?

As many of you know, today is a glorious day for us New Yorkers as our GMEN take a victory stroll down the Canyon of Hero's celebrating their domination over the Pats in the Super Bowl this past Sunday. With the overflow of newly added 'commuters' this morning I realized I was less than excited about the parade- I was semi-annoyed. I thought to myself that if i too had the day off from school and got to go to the parade my perception might be different. But trying to make my way through the mess of red and blue, most of which I envied for probably having had Bailey's in their coffee(s) this morning, seemed more of a challenge the the usual ride in to work. Recognizing my stinky attitude I made a conscious effort to get rid of it...but just could not shake it. As always in my life, someone crossed my path who made me step back and realize how easy it is to just smile and enjoy. It happened when I was dropping off coffee for some clients and just observed for a few minutes how nice everyone was in the whole office to the receptionist. People walked by, smiling, saying hello, asking how her weekend was and with each person, she put some genuine love and soul into her responses. Overwhelmed by her positive energy I blurted out "everyone just loves you here, don't they?" True to form she responded "it's a whole lot easier goin' through life being nice to everyone, smiling and laughing- it just makes everyone happier." And here my friends, was another OMG life moment- while I spend my morning sifting through happy fans (like a drawer of mismatched smelly gym socks), I could have been smiling right alongside them, rooting for our NY Giants whether or not I was going to the parade. The fact that we won, and are lucky enough to have so many people come to our great city and celebrate- is really a blessing, not an annoyance. Anyways, by the end of my conversation with the receptionist she thanked me for stopping by to drop off coffee (mind you I didn't get her anything)- so I just wanted to say thank you to her, for helping me to see that my subway car was half full this morning...of some crazy NY fans :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment