Friday, February 10, 2012

LOST: Newspaper man. FOUND: fun?

Folks, today a terrible thing happened!! I have written before about how we tend to get used to the people we see everyday but don't actually know personally. It is a concept I learned about through my intensive communications studies in college (most of which generally entailed wine tasting in the library haha), and involves those people we say 'good morning!' to on our way into work, or a Starbucks Barista that always knows your drink. Though most of us have no real relationship with these individuals, a certain level of emotional attachment is formed because they become apart of our daily routine. WELL THIS MORNING my newspaper guy who hands out free trash stories to view on the ride in WAS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. On top of that, Friday happens to be our best encounter of the week because he always tells me to "have a blessed weekend, dear." But now what?! No farewell wishes, no nice send offs, nothing! This experience made me realize 2 things. First, I definitely take value in the daily encounters I have with people I don't know because their simple acts and words of kindness always tend to put a smile on my face. Second, why is it that we always leave all the good stuff for the weekends? Granted- I do love mister newspaper's send off every morning, but Friday's are all that much better. And when I really though about it, all of my favorite activities are scheduled only for the weekends! Going out with friends, eating oh-so-good bad food, seeing my man in uniform ;), and even my best workouts all occur on Fri/Sat/Sun. Do you think we would all enjoy the week just a little bit more if some of the weekend fun was sprinkled in mid-week? Maybe the grind would seem, well, less gridey. Two points being here- one, someone give me my newspaper man back! But seriously, a continual life lesson that began for me at a relatively young age: never take someone for granted because you never know how quickly they can be taken away from you. And two- sprinkle some of the weekend goodness into the week! I am going to make every effort to go to a movie mid-week next week, and maybe even eat something that is loaded with calories and fat...but gives me a sweet taste of life :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment