Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Ah Shante!

Of course I Google-ed the meaning of my title on this one- and though I would love to say I can speak French, I do not know a lick of the most beautifully romantic language in my eyes. Full grasp of that tongue will become a life accomplishment, and I say that not because I am putting it off but because I can not yet afford the $400+ investment NYC language learning schools require. ANY WAYS back to the point here- this weekend I went to France- not quite literally of course, but experienced France in the big apple. Yet another oddly beautiful weekend here in NYC (don't worry, I bring rain/snow with my birthday tomorrow!)- I was lucky enough to get an early birthday brunch visit from my Aunt. After the typical stuff-your-face fest at Lansky's (my favorite neighborhood spot), she challenged me to walk down to Lincoln Center and back up to 75th. Normally, this is not a challenge but after running 8 miles in 45 mph winds, crawling seemed like an impossibility. Not the most profound walker herself, I tried to convince my Aunt to hop in a cab back up after Lincoln Center; and I am glad I was unable to. As we slowly made our way up in a neighborhood I thought I was so familiar with, my Aunt asked question after question- remaining bright eyed and bushy tailed after each store front we passed. Craving a little warmth, she suggested we stop into a chocolate cafe- one that is 2 blocks from my apartment that I had neither seen or heard of before. Upon stopping in, we sat down and immediately were transported into what felt like a tiny cafe in along the Chanselise complete with perfectly brewed and overly foamed cappuccino alongside tasty Nutella covered treats. As we sat there, our conversations even seemed different- like all the chaos outside had halted just for one moment while we pressed our lips to the almost too hot cups. It never ceases to amaze me that even places I thought I was familiar with in this city can bring me to a new and exciting place all over again. For the record, I have actually been to Paris and for anyone doubting my judgement out there, I of course known that 73rd and Amsterdamn is in no way comparable to 'along the Chanselise...' or is it? Is NYC the only city in the world that will allow you to go anywhere without leaving its parameters? Or is it the city and the people that you love there who are able to give you a whole new perspective on your typical surroundings? Maybe you should take a stroll down your block...you never know what you might find- and feel free to invite a loved one, they may open your eyes to something that has always been there but that you've never seen before :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment