Friday, January 13, 2012

Get Freaky- It's Friday the 13th People!!

Come on folks, you know I had to go for this one. Especially those of you who know me well- as much as I hate to admit it I am fairly superstitious. And today I found out why the day is supposed to be unlucky, making the idea of this doom's day even freakier! It all started when Judas (yea, that dude who betrayed Jesus) showed up as the final attendee to the Last Super, making him the 13th guest. On top of that, Jesus died on  Friday so the combination of 13 and Friday is not a good one from a Christian standpoint. For you non-believers, 2012 will hold 3 Friday the 13th's this year...that is the most that can occur in 1 calendar year. SOMEONE TURN THE LIGHTS ON I AM LOOSING IT!! And I know I am not the only one here- I have seen many elevators sans the 13th floor option, and in Italy the number between 12 and 14 is actually called 12.5, and no it's not like Platform 9 3/4 in Harry Potter (I know my man in uniform may have had that one on his mind- HERE IS YOUR SHOUT OUT lol). There is even a diagnosable fear of Friday the 13th called friggatriskaidekaphobia...and apparently millions of people in the US have it. So what is really going on here? Have we been conditioned to believe in something that seems to have become more of a tradition than an actual 'unlucky day.' For those of you who believe in this day due to religious regions, I have no argument to vouch against you. But for the rest of us, why do we give into this sort of thing? For people who claim not to- I am sure that fact that today was Friday and the 13th must have crossed your mind at some point- or at least the media reminded (if not, well then you're living under a rock). Those of you like myself may be extra cautious, not making any travel plans or truly deviating from the norm. Is it possible that whatever you put out into the universe is what you ultimately get back? Though I admit to being superstitious, I do more generally believe in the concept of positive attraction. If you haven't read the book "The Secret" I recommend you do. It is short and sweet and opens your mind to a theory that just seems to make sense. Think about it- if you decide to be in a bad mood from the moment you wake up- that is what will carry your actions, interactions, and experience throughout the day. Where as if you decide to have a positive attitude when you step out the door, experiences are going to be attracted to you by a very different means. So that one time a bird decided to unload on your shoulder during the walk to work, your perception on a positive day might be "great, this is good luck!" as opposed to "crap, there goes my outfit for my big meeting." I dare you to try this theory of positive attraction out and see if it works- you might be pleasantly surprised. As far as myself is concerned, I am going to grab a Guinness to celebrate to TGIF and hope to not get struck by lightening on the way (family and friends- not to worry, it is no longer storming in the city) :)
xoxo AA

Thank you to MSN.com for providing some of the facts used above.

No comments:

Post a Comment