Thursday, January 5, 2012

You tell by my attitude that I'm most definitely...

"New York, New York," is not only known as our city's anthem, but as one of Franky Sinatra's biggest hit. He recorded it in 1979 and throughout the years had performed it as a duet with the likes of Liza Minnelli and  Tony Bennett (though my generation is probably more closely associated with Alice Keys & Jay-Z's version). The original has become such a staple in our city that it has been played over the loudspeaker at the old and new Yankee's stadiums at the end of EVERY home game. Clearly there is something great going on in NYC- so a few nights ago I decided to see take a walk through the glitz and glam. I trekked from work in midtown east to home on the upper west side. Just to put it in perspective- that's nearly 3 miles and it was 17 degrees, but I was up for the challenge! And I did not take the short route- walking through the Fashion District, Times Square, Columbus Circle, and then finally Lincoln Center (no east side stops for this west-sider!) I felt like I saw it all. But I started to realize something as the wind tried to tear through my sleeping bag-like coat; the general perception of NYC seems to be this fast paced paced, bright lights, "see your dreams come to life" sort of notion. But can NYC be judged solely on its looks? And does the way NYC look or appear to others a truly represent what it is really like here? Granted, the areas I walked through most certainly fill all of the criteria for the descriptions above, but as a New Yorker, I almost never see those areas and quite frankly usually try to avoid them at all costs. So the real New York, where financial types work in Wall St. and media folk enjoy an over-priced cocktail in the East Village- are those 'local' places glitzy and glam filled too? My answer is yes, but in a completely different way. The glitz and glam of the New York that I saw on my walk is not the same as it is in the local spots. In places like Time Square, it is loud, in your face and bright- you can't miss the feelings of happiness and inspiration when you're there because they are made so apparent to the consumer. But in local places, such as hidden speak-easy bars or up-scale banker lunch spots, the glitz and glam is a little more subdued...and not free. This sort of secret glam isn't always readily available to everyone and once you 'made it into that cool bar' or seen a 'celebrity out' you begin to realize that there are 2 completely different New Yorks. Though I must admit that I have been that media type who pays for ONE of the over-priced cocktails in the East Village, I enjoyed my walk through the tourist filled areas the other night. It is the perception of those well known places that drove me here in the 1st place, right? But now that I am here and see what it is all really about- the beauty of the glitz and glam seems a little tainted. Realizing that the glitz and glam is no longer free once you live here, can sometimes be a little disheartening (like when you see a beautiful woman, and come to find out she's paid for a lot of those 'great looking features'). And I also wonder, can these feelings of dream making and inspiration be experienced in other cities? I think a lot of it is all a matter of perception, but I am truly not quite sure! As always though, I am curious to find out :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment