Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving...the after math

Well folks- after giving this experiment my all, here are the results. To avoid any sort of negative spin, I will say that I at least did learn a thing or 2 over this Thanksgiving break- but as suspected, they were not the "things" that were the goal of the experiment. Try as I might, I did not learn 1 new thing that was important to any of the folk gathered round the turkey. The usual niceties and quick update conversations occurred- but nothing that seemed relatively important or meaningful was shared with one another. Getting to the POSITIVE results of my experiment- are the things that I learned about someone I had never met before. I wasn't really surprised by this because meeting new people seems easier to me than bonding with those that you are related to (more exciting? who knows!). Thursday morning before the eating extravaganza began- I volunteered with 'God's Love We Deliver,' an organization here in NYC that delivers meals to the needy, sick, or incapable cookers in all 5 boroughs. This year- I assisted 1 of the truck drivers as we delivered meals for a local church to distribute. Having never met my driver, Miguel and I became fast friends as we cruised up the West Side Highway. I am not sure what it was- maybe he sensed he could trust me? But the flood gates opened...he explained to me that he had been homeless 2 times in his life and that was why he felt the need to give back- it was these very meals he used to rely on. Now, with a full time job and a full time son he loves so dearly- he actually thanks God for where he is at in his life. And it's not just now that he is thanking Him- he explained that when he was so beaten down and lost, he never gave up his faith. He keep speaking to God and saying "I know I am in a ditch right now because You are trying to teach me something- and I know You will get me out of it eventually." It was shocking to me that this man who had been through so many struggles- had such a strong faith in God. Miguel and I made it to the church and successfully delivered all of our meals- but I was most grateful for the time we spent together and hearing his story. In the end of this experiment- I learned that no matter how hard you try to have a friendship, relationship, or acquaintance with someone- it is the conversations and connections that you least expect that will affect you and your perception of the world around you. Does that mean I am giving up on the old fam? Heck no! But does focusing your energies on the most positive people, things, and ideas around you ultimately make one happier in life? I am certainty a proponent of that idea :) Glad to be back and writing again in the big city...
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment