Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pride- 99% of us have it

I've been thinking about occupy wall street lately, mainly because the movement decided to occupy the subways at 3:00 PM on Thursday. But instead of getting all political on your asses (and many of you know I am bursting at the seams) I've decided instead to focus on something else. I struggled in the later part of the week with understanding the 99%-ers mission- why are they doing it? What is their main cause (still unclear to me after scouring their site)? What is getting accomplished? As I sit here this morning on a 707 AM train with my friend and his old fashion donuts on our way to New Haven for the Harvard/Yale game (neither school of which I attended) I realize it's about pride. The occupiers, honing in on a 2 month anniversary- march, shout, and quite frankly squat because they are fighting for something they take pride in. And for that- I give them credit- similar to the alumni that are surrounding me bright eyed and bushy tailed up at the crack of dawn ready for the game. Most of us, guilty for complaining about the 6AM wake up for work, were easily up at 6AM to catch this train- and the pride is definitely apparent (as is the smell of beer and everything bagels toasted with cream cheese). So after days of struggling- I'd like to wish the occupiers good luck because like the vast majority of us- they are just showin' some pride. Go Yale!!
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment