Sunday, April 1, 2012

Enjoy your time

Last weekend I was lucky enough to attend a company dine out in Annapolis and the Navy Marine Corps Relief Ball with my man in uniform in our nation's capital. Both nights being very different from one another- each experience opened my eyes, mind, and heart to a great community. Night #1- essentially a gathering of the USNA's finest men from 1st company outfitted to the 9s in their dress tux uniforms. As soon as we were seated I was informed of a list of rules (1 page filled top to bottom) that if not followed, would result in your consumption of the grog. Rules ranged in everything from not 'murdering the Queen's English' to asking for permission to use the bathroom because 'military protocol always overrides any call of nature.' Nervous, but ready- I tried to be on my best behavior. Oh and the grog- well that is a vat of the most disgusting drink you could conjure up. It included (this is an incomplete list): ketchup, yogurt, non-alcoholic beer, and of course a dash of salt, pepper, and hot sauce. As the night went on we heard from the midshipman that had organized the dinner as well as a Navy retiree who had served in Mexico and beyond. I even had to sing a Disney duet upon requesting and being relieved to the restroom. As I sat there a began to realize I was in the midst of a band of brothers- normal guys who loved to have a great time just like the rest of us, but were bonded in a way we can't understand. Not to mention that their level of respect, attention to detail, and honor for our country is higher than most. It was a great experience, but it in no way prepared me for the next night. Night #2- 500 of your closest friends from the Navy and Marine Corps. The group included Navy and Marine Corp retirees, 1 2 and 3 star Admirals, and even foreign navy representatives and their wives of course. Who I was not expecting were the actual wounded warriors who the ball was held in benefit for. At 1st, I was thrown off because between keeping up with the 'sirs' and dealing with the constant voice of my grandmother in the back of my head saying 'be a lady,' holding it together in front of some of our nation's heroes seemed like a juggling act. After dinner and an amazing speech by a visiting nurse, it was time to hit the dance floor. The navy band had quite the line up- from golden oldies to the Rihanna hits of today. For those of you in my generation- dancing without grinding is a lot more difficult than you might think. Not because of the lack of skills in the appropriate dance moves category, but just because of the complete change in motion- my body was confused! During the last song- the electric slide- 1 of the wounded warriors actually dragged us onto the dance floor. At that moment I realized- these are real people who we were to be celebrating that night; not to be fearful of. The entire weekend I was exposed to some of the most successful, courageous, and honorable people I had ever met. I got a glimpse of how strong the bonds were between the families in the community, and saw that regardless of what the news or your poli sci proff said in college- these people are real and have a no bullshit job. And for that, I commend every single one of their efforts and feel so lucky to be able to support one (1 at the moment, 2 when little bro ships off to boot camp this summer) of their men in uniform. One more thing- when you think you're having a bad day- think about having 1 less limb, eye, or not being able to pick of the phone to text the person you love. You will soon realize your sacrifices are so less greater than those who protect our country and all that we stand for :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment