Sunday, May 6, 2012

If you hadn't heard, well now you know

I have some shocking news people that are still reading my blog...I START MY NEW JOB AT ELLE.COM TOMORROW MORNING!!!!!!!!! I am so excited/blessed/grateful/gracious I don't even know what to do with myself. But beyond that I am ready for a new adventure. I will be putting my sales hat back in the closet for a bit and getting back into my old roots- the world of digital...and I cannot wait. Leaving the only job I've ever had since college graduation, and the only group of people I've ever worked with (Abercrombie does not count here, that was a lifestyle back in the day, not my job hehe)- the time since I gave in my 2 weeks notice last Monday was certainly bitter sweet. I felt it necessary to share a few things in the past 2 weeks that will not only make me stronger, but better prepared for my career path ahead. 1st of all- quitting a job is a truly unfortunate most awkward life experience. There is probably a book on how to do it but quite frankly I've been so hooked on Hunger Games the thought did not cross my mind to purchase such a paperback, until, well...now. Once the band-aide was ripped off- people's reactions began to set it. And for my remaining 10 (which turned into 8) days at the office I realized was no longer mine, I experienced a myriad of personalities. My close friends were of course supportive immediately, others who I was not so close with seemed confused, and then there were some folks that came across as angry. I am starting to realize (hoping) now that it was in fact disappointment or hurt that was being displayed as anger. Either way, as each day went on I realized more and more that I was no longer apart of the team and that even the desk I sat at and came mildly attached to was no longer mine. Accounts, clients, and daily responsibilities had been taken away. I should have known this was coming- I quit, what did I think they were still going to need me for? But maybe that was just it. I knew I was leaving and I am beyond excited for my new opportunity but the realization that I was so easily replaceable took some time to set in. Over my 2 weekdays off I got all of my necessary errands ran and even took a gander around the streets of NYC to realize how truly fortunate I am to have a job to report to everyday. And as time went on I remembered this was just business. This was just life. This was just the progression of events, change, people coming and going. This is what life was all about. I guess when you deliver unexpected news for people you see 5/7 days a week, sometimes the information can be shocking and therefore the reaction not what you expected it to be. And I think this finally all came back to relationships for me- had these people I worked with for so long really no longer cared about me once I quit? Did they think I no longer cared about them? And if this is all about business- well then why the hell do I care? Pulling a bit of an Irish Exit mid-week I decided to head back to the office one last time to make sure I said goodbye to everyone. And to my surprise, this is exactly what I needed. Dressed in my street clothes, people were confused to see me back and as many of us embraced, I was so happy that I had returned just for a brief amount of time to see that it was OK to leave- that leaving did not mean that my relationships with many of these people had to end. In fact, many of them were supportive! And it is those memories I will take with me to my new job because they have helped me to realize how every step of the journey is as important as the next and how grateful I am not only for the opportunity I am able to receive, but the relationships I am able to form with great people. If there are going to be haters that gone hate, I hope that your hate is only disguising hurt because as a good friend recently told me, we are all on our own paths :)
WISH me luck tomorrow!!
One lucky girl,
xoxo
AA

No comments:

Post a Comment