Monday, May 7, 2012

New Kid on the Block

Day #1...was a success! I just wanted to write a quick bit about my 1st day on the job at ELLE.com. The day began with a more than wonderful tour given by our HR guide- both through the Hearst history and the building itself. After that I met with my team who are a lovely group of girls! After lunch and a big staff meeting the day came to an end more quickly than I had anticipated. I realized something today as I sat at lunch alone (no 'aw's please, it was fine)...I am totally the new girl! Being the new girl is very different at your 1st job ever as appose to your 2nd, 3rd, etc. At least in my experience, I definitely did not feel as nervous and quite frankly was just ready to get to work, now knowing what the working world entails. But as I people watched all of the beautiful shoes walking past me in the cafeteria, I noticed that there was something refreshing about being the new girl. Besides the obvious fresh slate, new start, blah blah- I was vulnerable and I was happy to embrace it. Instead of being so familiar with my surroundings, I couldn't distinguish the location of the bathroom from the kitchen. It was refreshing to know that I had so much to learn- so many new experiences ahead of me. Even on my commute home (which will normally be a 15 minute walk when the weather decides to hold out) smelled of new instead of the subway route I had been consistently taking Mon-Fri for the past 2 years. Sometimes we don't even realize how we continue to go through the motions day in and day out. Having to figure out where the train was to get home forced me to pay attention to my surroundings and not be in zombie robot mode (as much as I know my man loves zombies ;)). Coming out of zombie robot mode made me come back down to reality, and for that I am grateful. I'm off to bed- bright eyed, bushy tailed, and excited for another new day tomorrow :)
xoxo
AA

No comments:

Post a Comment