Thursday, August 15, 2013

Oh how sweet it is

Hey out there world! I am SO SUPER excited to let you know that I am blogging live...from NYC! Good old Girl in the Big City is back....for 10 days. :) I am here on vacation with my man in uniform to visit family and friends in one of the most vibrant places on the planet. It has been 9 whole months since I last experienced the bright nights and long nights...I for sure left my beach shrug behind in preparation to enjoy every moment of this trip. Though I do love my man, he is fully aware of the fact that NYC and myself have been in a very serious relationship, for a very long time. So when I arrived in lovely Newark this morning at 5AM, freezing my buns off and groggy from the red eye flight, I was unsure of how my reunion with the Big Apple would feel. As soon as we drove over the bridge and I could see the lights and scrapers reaching for the skies, I found that I was almost brought to tears. I love this place so much and was reminded of all of the things I learned here in my early twenties, all of the amazing memories I had, and all of the truly real life experiences I was able to encounter. I found myself wondering, 9 months later, since I had left- had I changed? What had I learned in my 9 months away that was different from my experiences in this big city? What had I tried to make as my contribution to this huge world when I was so far from what I believe to be its epicenter? Though inspiration came rushing back into my veins (which is most likely why I am writing day 1 into my vacation)- I realized how how happy I was to be in the place that I am in. I realized I was glad to be a visitor and not a resident this time around. I was relieved to know that I could in fact enjoy the city and not let its sometimes ever present grind fall upon me. I could take the calm, yoga, and meditation practices I learned on the west coast and apply them here. To make my experience more enjoyable. I realized another thing- which may have nothing to do with my move but rather my own transition. I am finally finding myself at a place in life where I am truly dedicated to living out my life's passions- whether or not that fits into a size 0 Nicole Miller dress. I realized, I had learned so much about what it was to be a passionate person during my time living in NYC, that I was now capable to go out into the the big world and apply it to what I believe in my heart, I was put on this earth to do. So my message through all of this? Leave, live, learn, and come back. To see the city and people that raised you allows you to have a better appreciation of your upbringing as a 20 something, and a better understanding of who you are becoming. :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment