Thursday, July 12, 2012

Saddle Up!

Bless my lucky stars y'all! Kidding- but seriously, a few weekends ago I was fortunate enough to make a long weekend trip down to the Lone Star State...Texas that is- to visit my man and uniform and his family. Told by my hosts to 'leave my NYC stuff behind' I showed up at the Dallas-Fortworth airport in nothing more than my Yankees hat and little city dress. Being an east coaster and never having adventured to TX before (there was a brief 2 years of my life that I did live in CO but that is a moot point here) I was not sure what to expect. I had been warned that heat was the 1st difference I would notice but instead, it was the instant sense of calmness and charm. There was something in the air (and I am not referring to the humidity) that just felt safe and sound- like I was home. Staying at my man's awesome childhood ranch style home I felt instantly welcomed. A quick game of Banana Grams (do I need to tell you who reigned victor?) and we were out the door on our way to TX BBQ. People...when I tell you that I actually fell in love with food on this trip...take me seriously. Brisket and chicken were my main weapons of choice followed by sides of dirty rice and baked beans. I think I nearly blacked out at the dinner table due to the high levels of bliss I experienced with each bite. As I sat in this feed store turned restaurant, I again felt a sense of happiness and community in the air. Day 2: we were off to the range for some shooting. Let me just quickly set the scene for you here- the only experience I have with the idea of shooting is from the movies/video games. Meaning shot outs, assassins, and thugs. You can imagine the sheer terror I was experience inside (whilst holding it together like a lady on the outside of course) when we arrived at the range. To my complete and utter shock, this was nothing like the movies. Rather, shooting is a sport! And a sport to be taken very seriously. After dabbling with a riffle among the many Texan men that were out for their Saturday morning shooting sessions, I decided to try out the civilian version of an M-16 (to my knowledge, what our troops take with them overseas). Sheer terror washed over me as I was knocked completely out of my comfort zone by this overpowering weapon. I decided to stick with my riffle. After lunch under cover from the sun, I took few shots with the handgun and we called it a day. All in all not only did I have a good time but it was a successful trip- I completely got over my fears and came to the realize that shooting is actually a sport in many places. Day 3: this might have been my favorite experience of the trip- country line dancing! Myself, my man, his sis and bro headed out to BILLY BOB'S (yes that is a real place, and I know what you're thinking...it sounds awesome...it was awesome). When we pulled up I noticed the fresh stench of cow poop. Reason being is that not only is Billy Bob's a great place to get your country line dancing on, but also has a rodeo inside where professional bull riders attempt to wrestle and ride bulls. We missed  the show (but not the poop) and headed straight for the dance floor. Again, country line dancing is almost like a competitive sport. Or at least it should be because it is certainly a lot more difficult than it appears. After a few quick lessons from my man's bro and sis, we hit the floor. One quick item to note, instead of a glowing disco ball, there was a glowing saddle (how cool!!) hanging above the dance floor. With some trial and error runs, we finally got the hang of it. I looked around and again felt a sense of security and bliss in the air. Something that seems so simple as dancing around a floor had brought a huge group of people together (very accepting crowd I might add) to just dance and have a genuinely great time. Needless to say, I had a great time in TX. Besides the food, the guns, and dancing, it was the people and hospitality that I enjoyed the most. There is something to be said for simplicity or change of pace that can clear your mind and give you a fresh perspective on the world around you. To see folks truly live out a sort of 'life is great' motto through their actions made my trip all the more special. So thank you to my wonderful hosts- for welcoming me into your home with open arms and for showing me a great time! This city girl might just have a little country in her y'all! Just kidding? ;)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment