Thursday, March 22, 2012

What makes the World go Round

Life has been happening to say the least. In the midst of it all, there were many ideas that I wanted to share but did not have the time to get written down! At any rate, the past few weeks have not only been great but also reminded me of an invaluable lesson I learned at a fairly young age. A quick recap of the 4 things that fueled the fire behind this post: 1st- I am starting to realize how we rely far too heavily (myself included) on technology so much so that I am beginning to wonder if we form actual relationships with devices- I work for a technology magazine and I am saying this (I will explain) 2nd- I realized that great relationships can actually become even better as you get to know someone on a totally different level (maybe one you didn't want to share because let's be honest, we can't all be perfect all the time) 3rd- family coming together again over a mini crisis (everyone is OK thank goodness), is that the only way we bond? 4th- success in sales? Yes you heard right- after months of my ridiculous antics and hundreds of voice messages, emails, and Starbucks drop-offs, I have finally started to see some business come in. After letting ALL of this process I FINALLY realized DUH the common theme here is relationships- and that they were at the center of what was really going on here. With each experience I described above, the glue- the defining character was the relationship. To break it down- (1) Technology: we all rely on it so much because it is the only way our generation has inherently LEARNED how to stay connected to others. It's not the actual phone that we have grown attached to, no matter how cool the apps or how fly the case, it's the power this device holds. It makes or breaks our communications with the ones we love, the ones we hate, and the ones we just can't seem to get rid of. (2) Great relationships: I am essentially that girl who attempts to come as close to being perfect day and in day out. Getting the stomach flu certainly does not fall into the line of perfection and is personally not a state I even want to see myself in. But it some odd way, showing a peak into my humanity, and seeing that of another- can actually bring you closer to someone. As much as I will continue to strive to be my best, I am grateful for my uncontrollable moment of weakness as it allowed me to realize this man loves me even at my lowest of lows. (3) Family crisis: yes folks, we are here again- and this lesson I just can't get enough of (my life motto if you will)- "Live everyday like it's your last." Time and time again I am appreciative of God theoretically shaking me and saying "pay attention because you don't realize how quickly it can all be taken away." You begin to remember that your relationships with family, the people you don't choose but are given, become all the more precious and cherished when you realize they have the possibly of not existing forever. (4) Professional success: for all the attempts at communicating with client with not even a hello, email, or phone call back- for all of the lunches and happy hours I sat across the table from people who quite frankly just didn't care- I never changed who I was. And for that, I won business- and I won business with people who respected me and that I hadn't given up on- people who I hope to consider my real friends in the future because they are willing to listen and I can finally hear their needs. So in the end- relationships in ALL facets of life play such an integral part in our existence as humans. They are something that I rely on not only for love and happiness, but for life lessons and professional gratification. Just realize that every interaction you have with those around you can ultimately effect the outcome of your circumstances today, tomorrow, or 10 years from now. But it is continually staying true to yourself that will ultimately allow you to reap the benefits of your relationships- especially the most important 1- the 1 with yourself :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment