Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Dream Big, Banksy

Friends of the world! I am uper excited to be writing on my new blog- as you may notice, there has been a slight tweak in the name. This big city girl has moved to the healthy city- beautiful, sunny, full of love...San Diego :) So welcome, and enjoy the new ride here!
Stepping back to reality- I wanted to share some thoughts on dreams as they have been on my mind A LOT these days. The entire set of lyrics from "Empire State of Mind" as well as the phrase "Brooklyn- we go hard" first come to mind when thinking about dreams, but that may be due to my slight obsession with Jay-Z and my inherent association with a NYC attitude. Recently, I came across this photo (Banksy, as many of you know, my fave) and it really got me to thinking:

Amanda Alimo Girl in the Healthy City

What is it about achieving our dreams that seems so scary to all of us? Really sit and think about it- not your standard dreams (find your prince charming, drive a sweet whip, make a ton of money) but rather dreams like "contributing to society" or "making a difference in the world" or "being passionate about work every single day." When we really consider how attainable these goals are, most of us are frightened and many of us tend to revert back to the "I suck" mentality in our minds. What is it that makes many of us feel that achieving the absolutely great is ultimately not within the realm of possibilities? This can be seen as true in our society of the so few "greats" that exist- from CEOs of major digital start-up companies to doctor's curing 1,000+ people in North Korea of Cataracs- why can't we all achieve such goals? We can...of course many of us may not have the skill set yet, but we could most certainly learn it given the opportunity combined with persistence and dedication. What is so damn scary about sincere bliss, happiness, and success? The chance that we might fail? Great news- most of the "greats" did fail at 1, 2, or 10 points in their lives- and that is what lead them to where they are. Much like the weed out process, they had to fail, keep going, and move forward. Similar in thought is a quote a certain special someone shared with me the other day: "It is always to early to give up." So instead of giving up, let's fail a few times. As of late, my goal is to light this fire inside me. Going, failing, picking up, moving on, learning, going, sweating....I know I can do it and I can't do it alone. So I am committed to making the attempt everyday to reach for it, and work towards my dream day in and day out. Because at least then I know I'll have made a solid go at my dreams- as appose to being too afraid to take just that 1st step :)
xoxo AA

No comments:

Post a Comment