Thursday, February 14, 2013

Let the Love In

Hello World! Today is Valentine's Day...you must have known you were going to get a post :) A day entirely dedicated to love is clearly one of my favorite day's of the year. I mostly believe this because I am a Pisces- a dreamer, lover, romantic at heart...oh and because this is my birthday month! Any who- this Valentine's Day, I am more than grateful to be spending a 2nd consecutive Love Day with my man in uniform :) Something else has also been stirring inside of me today that I had to share. I am learning that the difference of speaking and acting love are entirely unique concepts, and when experimented with, can be life changing. Let me give an example. Many of us (myself include) have come into the habit of saying we are going to do nice things, or think about doing nice things. Many of us read nice quotes and may even view nice project ideas for loved ones on sites like Pinterest. But how often do we act on these nice ideas? How often do we ask someone a questions like "Hey, how are you?" and genuinely listen for a response and interact? Better yet, how often do we just hug a friend....for no reason, or touch our hand to another's in conversation? The need for human touch, love, and affection- all relationships and holidays aside, are imperative for human survival and happiness. For some reason, in our culture, though sex may be glorified, personal non-intimate touch is, well, never really "touched" upon. When I 1st landed in Florence for my study abroad program years ago, I will never forget how odd it seemed to me that women would stroll down the streets, hand in hand...and were not in fact dating one another. And men too! Point being, humans have a lot of love to give- it is within us, and it is something we not only need to give but receive. Today, I was reminded of how good a hug feels when thanking someone for something as simple as a card. Or actually engaging someone in conversation; without checking email and Facebook simultaneously. Today, my message is to just spread the love. Very similar to the pay it forward idea. Putting love out into the universe not only enables us to open and expand our relationships with others, but also fill the need of human interaction, connection...oh and hugs :)
xoxo AA

1 comment:

  1. Aww! I am gonna come give you a big ol' Amanda hug ;) Happy Love Day!!

    ReplyDelete